Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Apple Butter


I'm not going to lie. I love apple butter but the main reason I wanted to try this recipe was to make my home smell AMAZING! I was not disappointed. If you need to create a welcoming aroma in your house, this will do the trick. Not to mention the benefit of having apple butter to eat afterwards. It could quite possible by my version of crack in the autumn. I want to put it on everything: toast, bagels, rolls... Basically anything with carbs. I found a pinterest recipe for pancakes with apple butter mixed in. Watch out! This will be happening. That pinterest thing is so handy. 


Start with apples. Duh. Any type will do. I picked the cheapest kind and now I do not remember what kind that was. Sorry.



Then you need to core and peel the apples. This handy device was handed down from my grandma and I love it!

Once you've done this step, throw all the apples into a big slow cooker and sprinkle with all the spices and water. It was difficult for me to get it mixed evenly but I tried my best. You can do the same better!




At this point it already smelled like three apple pies cooking at the same time. You will leave the apples to cook for a long time with the lid not completely closed so air can escape. I used my wooden spoon to prop it open. Here is the end result after using a food processor to blend it all together. I had to use my single serve blender because I'm not fancy. I should invest in a processor huh.?



Ta da!! Here is the recipe that actually makes sense.

Ingredients
- 10-12 apples, any type
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup filtered water
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice

Directions

Peel, core, and dice apples, then place them in a slow cooker.  Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.   Place the lid on the slow cooker, but prop it open slightly to allow moisture to escape (I prop the handle of a wooden spoon between the lid and the base). Set slow cooker on low and cook for 12-16 hours, until apples have reduced significantly and turn a deep caramel color.

Remove apple mixture from slow cooker and place in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.   The apple butter is now ready if you plan on storing it in the fridge.  Apple butter will keep quite well in a fashion similar to jam.  

Recipe makes just over a pint (2 cups).

Original Recipe found here



6 comments:

  1. Yum!

    And I see your blog is growing! Hooray (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so delicious!! that apple corer you have is so neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I "borrowed" that one from my mom. Shhh! haha

      Delete
  3. WOW! This looks soooo delicious. How long did it take you to prepare everything?

    P.S. I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! Make sure to stop by and check it out :) Keep up the great work!

    http://www.newlywedmoments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious, I've never heard of this recipe before; it looks a little bit like the cinnamon butter recipe I use but with apples and nutmeg. I'll have to give this a try! What do you put it on/eat it with?

    New follower of yours, btw :)

    - Erin xo

    365mu.blogspot.co.uk - One girl's attempt at creating 365 different make-up looks in as many days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Cinnamon Butter?! You might have to send me that recipe. I load this stuff on toast, bagels, and pancakes. I could even dip veggies in it and I bet it would be good with pork. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...