Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pasta Carbonara

This is one of my favorite pastas. Maybe because it is fast and simple. But most likely because there is bacon in it. If there is bacon in it.... I will eat it! I'm guessing this meal isn't the healthiest though. Sometimes you just have to go for it and eat something that will hit the spot and make you happy. :) It tastes like a lighter version of an alfredo sauce

When I tried this particular recipe out, I wished I had a glass of wine and some italian bread to go with the meal. Don't make the same mistake!

Pasta Carbonara

This sauce will be enough for 8 ounces of warm, freshly cooked pasta; always reserve a bit of the cooking water to toss with the sauce and hot pasta.


Ingredients: 
3 slices bacon

1 large egg
1/2 cups heavy cream
1 green pepper cut into small bites
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
8 ounces freshly cooked pasta such as spaghetti, linguine, or fettuccine. I used angel hair because it was in my pantry. Reserve 1 cup cooking water.


1. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook until finished. Then add the green pepper to the pan to cook. The pepper should get a little soft but still have a crunch to it. Turn heat off when done.

2. While this is cooking, whisk together the heavy cream, egg, salt, and freshly ground black pepper in bowl. You can always add more salt and pepper after everything is mixed together.

3. Drain excess fat from bacon skillet.

4. Put the just-cooked pasta into the skillet where the bacon and green pepper are and place over low heat.


Add the egg-cream mixture and some of the hot pasta cooking water (if needed to make creamy), and toss to coat. Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.



The great thing about this recipe is the option to change it up to fit your craving. You could replace the green pepper and add peas, onions, or any type of veggie. The options are endless!

Enjoy!




9 comments:

  1. This.looks.so.yummy! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to make it again in the same week but I restrained myself.

      Delete
  2. my husband's favorite dish!! looks good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.s. this is off the subject but I'm so glad we are in the same "sorority" :-)!! I feel like you are one of my bloggy besties!

      Delete
    2. I was just going to write that on your wall! Haha. I agree! it is exciting :)

      Delete
  3. This looks totally delish. I wanna try it with gluten free pasta!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks super good...but I'm kind of ick-ed out by the whole semi-raw egg business. But maybe I'll bite the bullet and try it...I mean, bacon can't be bad.

    New follower from over at Wifessonials. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry! The egg cooks while you are mixing everything together because the pasta is still hot and you have the burner on low.

      Delete
  5. this looks so good! I'll just have to remove the bacon :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...